Do I have to fill?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I had walls newly skimmed and painted in the usual way (mist coat/2 layers top coat).

There are some areas where the paint has been scraped off back to plaster layer.

I did some research and general feeling is to fill these before painting to bring the level back up.

I did this by using No Nonsense powder filler - the problem is that the thickness is so thin that the filler doesn't take - it just wipes off.

As the current layer of paint is so think do you think it would still stand out?

Alternative options based on reading:

Try adding PVA to the mix to make it stick
Water down some paint to prime the areas again and then try filling.

It may be that because it has gone down to plaster the surface is too shiny to hold the filler?

Sponsored Links
Never use PVA anywhere near anything that you are painting !!!! Re Prime anywhere that has gone back to raw plaster. Use another filler like Toupret or similar. Don't rub too hard when sanding after

I always use plasterboard jointing compound, only issue is it comes in 15Kg tubs!

Also quite good is Easifill. You should be able to get it to stay where you need it, and fairly thin. Some sanding is inevitable, and I find you usually need 2 rounds of filling before its right.

+1 for easifill. Toupret is a great filler but I've found not for very shallow areas / patches. Easifill is more robust IME.

Sponsored Links
You can either fill, or sand back the surrounding area so you can't see the change in level. Filling is usually quicker. You should use a "fine surface filler" designed for this task. Since you are using Screwfix products I'll point out that they also sell a pre-mixed one.

Easifill is good but a 25kg sack might be overkill.

You can get Easifill 20 in small sacks, I think 5kg. Only downside is the 20 is the minutes working time so you need to get a move on....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back