What to do with this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took off some old wallpaper and alot of old paint came off with it. There are alot of craters. It is to be painted.

Do i? Mist coat, sand, put some typ of on sealer? (not sure what?) then 2 final coats

Mist coat, filler, sand 2 finish coats

Use fine filler to fill it all? or something like that? sand and paint 2 coats?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Kevin,

Firstly you should wash down the walls in order to remove all traces of wallpaper paste, seeing that you have areas of exposed skim you should only use warm water, When this is done and using only warm water wash down again to remove any residue, when dry sand and dust off and apply a mist coat. Doing this will both highlight the imperfections and offer stability to the filler.

Fill out all the imperfections slightly proud of the existing substrate, and when dry very lightly sand back untill you have achieved a uniform finish, dust off and apply a mist coat to the filled areas. If you get this right you will be fine to apply your finish coats.

As a rule of thumb in a situation when removing a wallcovering the emulsion tends to follow suit, is a strong indication that a mist coat was not appllied to the plaster skim, thus offering no stability regarding further coats.

Dec

Would agree with thedec Kevin.

On the whole, this looks fairly easy to get back up together and if I can just throw in a couple of things, hope you don't mind.

First off, washing the walls to get rid of the paper paste is without doubt 1st job and it can take a fair bit of washing to get it off, but hey ho, its only washing!
For the next part, I have found painting over with a thinned coat of 'supermatt' or other vinyl free paint, a good first coat as it does not react with any of the water paste residue you may have left on the wall. Let it dry for at least 12 hours, overnight is best, then give the walls a quick sand over.

Next up is the filler. Now we all have our own ideas on this, but I really do find that 'toupret' make the best powder filler. ( I don't like their ready mix, takes too long to dry.) Their Interior, or TX110 quick drying, is perfect and I give my reasons as, you can use this between coats of paint, great for this job, it's dry in about a half hour or so, it is very smooth and easy to skim over with a 3" or 4" filling knife and it drys out very white. I do not ask for more from a filler!
Not available everywhere over the counter, but as I use a lot all year round, I order the 5kg bags over the internet.
Red Devil lightweight, is also good and I buy that too, but it is not so good between coats of paint.
I stopped using Poly****** and tetr*** about 4 years ago.

Skim over your walls with the filler, let it dry, light skim again over any low areas or bits you missed, let it dry then sand off

Now I would then go back over with a second coat of Supermatt to cover everything and let that dry. De-nib, then apply your 2 coats of the vinyl paint in any chosen colour.
Seems like a lot of work but this should give you a pretty good finish

Have you given thought to applying lining paper and painting over that? Still requires a good bit of prep but not as much as if filling and painting the surface.

If you are adamant on painting whats there then oldgreymouse's advice would be the one to follow. Very clear and concise my I add! ;)

Sponsored Links
Lining is another option, yet the overall result will be dependant on your paperhanging skills.

Dec

Indeed so, a certain level of skill and knowledge is imperative. This can be of more importance regarding what is often called the finishing trade.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back