Mist coat over filler - didn't do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am preparing/repurposing a bedroom into an office. It was last painted three years ago in the same colour (white with a hint of grey), but has had a fair amount of wear and tear in that time, new holes and cracks on the walls to fill, marks/scuffs etc.

I have prepared the walls for painting, done a nice filling job I think, sanded, smooth etc. Quite a lot of areas needed filling.

This morning I painted the first coat, but I noticed quickly that the bits on the filler look quite different. I researched it and saw lots of advice to do a mist coat over the filled areas.

Not sure what to do now. Will doing 3-4-5 coats on the whole wall make it look smooth and even? Or should I sand away the paint over the filler and do that mist coat like I perhaps should have in the first place?

I did my first coat two hours ago and won't be able to paint or do anything else until tonight (currently 8am!)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Mist it, and do at least one full coat on top to bring the texture, as well as the absorbency, of the patches to match the rest of the walls.

Emulsion paint that has been applied by roller often has a definite texture, sometimes you can replicate it in smooth patches by stippling with a brush.

Depends on filler and depends on paint.
It's just easier and works out safer to spot prime with something or use the paint and allow to fully dry before top coating.

Filled areas can reflect light differently

Sponsored Links
As above.

Some fillers don't need a mist coat, others do.

In your case, you could apply a cheap waterbased primer over the filler, eg Leyland Trade acrylic primer.

As JohnD says, the areas that you have have sanded will possibly have a smoother texture than the surround in areas, I too stipple those flat areas with a brush.

Thanks everyone. Will take a look again when I get home and see how it looks. As it happens, I think I have that exact primer at home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back