Paint not sticking to filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can offer me some advice, I feel like I must've done something wrong but struggling to work it out! Bare plaster wall, that's had previous coat of paint scraped off (badly, but it's off). Because there're a few nicks from the scraper, I've filled these in using this Screwfix plaster filler (https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-instant-plaster-filler-white-310ml/72591).

Now I've come to mist-coat the plaster, the areas that have had any contact with the filler don't seem to be taking the paint anywhere near as readily as the rest of the plaster, and this is leaving them behind as shallow areas.

Is this normal? Should I at this point be getting some sort of primer on it, e.g. Zinsser 123? Can I just put a thicker coat of paint on these areas and then send back again? Never seen anything like it, I assume the filler has something in it that helps it dry quickly that's causing the water based paint to not like it so much? :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Sponsored Links
You could try Zinseer, or even some oil-based undercoat.

You may find the emulsion doesn't always dry the same colour over oil-based undercoat at first, but should eventually do so after about a week.

If it's just ordinary filler you can pop some acrylic primer/undercoat on it before painting. I always do this on any filler as it can flash through the emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Acrylic primer undercoat as above. Cheap and available.

Other products you can use Inc.

Gardz.
Beeline sealer
Dulux plaster primer from DIY
Zinsser 123

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back