How to correctly paint over gyproc easy filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a couple of years ago I Patched up some plasterboard with gyproc easy filler

I then used a water based primer (Zinsser bullseye 123), then painted over with my water based paint.

The spot has started to crack and the paint is flaking off in this area

Where did I go wrong? and what is the correct way to paint over gyproc easy filler?

Sponsored Links
I find gardz or the cheaper beeline sealer is better over easyfill.
I never liked the product tbh. It's really for joints in plasterboard.
Better off with toupret powder for filling repairs.
Re bs123
That's normally very good but I think it's more the problem with easyfill

Most fillers have some shrinkage that will open up cracks. Just fill the cracks and repaint. Also. the joint of the repair is weak and easily opened up by movements/vibrations. If the cracks are persistent, use tape or mesh on it. I am starting to use hybrid polymer sealant for fills. But, I don't have long term performance data on it.

Last edited:
I find gardz or the cheaper beeline sealer is better over easyfill.
I never liked the product tbh. It's really for joints in plasterboard.
Better off with toupret powder for filling repairs.
Re bs123
That's normally very good but I think it's more the problem with easyfill
So your method is to

1. Use the gyproc easy fill.

2. Apply Zinsser Gardz

3. Then prime with water based paint like 123 and then topcoat

is that correct?

Also, I think i will start experimenting with other fillers. I am a little disappointed with easy filler tbh.

Is this the filler you recommend?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/toupret-interior-powder-filler-2kg/390pp

Sponsored Links
I use mostly Toupret TX110 . Standard is fine If not in a hurry.
Pick just one primer sealer .

Either gardz or 123. I use loads of acrylic primer undercoat as a prime coat

a couple of years ago I Patched up some plasterboard with gyproc easy filler

I then used a water based primer (Zinsser bullseye 123), then painted over with my water based paint.

The spot has started to crack and the paint is flaking off in this area

Where did I go wrong? and what is the correct way to paint over gyproc easy filler?

Do you have photos?

As per @Wayners post, I too am not a fan of Gyproc Easifill, primarily because it is so incredibly soft and given that it has no cement in it, if used in areas of high humidity, the moisture in the air can penetrate through the emulsion and blow the finish whilst simultaneously softening the surface of the filler.

At the moment, I can only suggest applying a dilute coat of emulsion over it. When dry, try a shellac based primer (BIN etc) or oil based undercoat. Then, when cured, apply the full fat emulsion.

And, again in agreement with Wayners, for plaster, my default go to is TX110. The TX110 dries faster and is only very slightly harder to sand and only marginally more expensive than regular Toupret powder based filler.

No disrespect intended to you, honestly, but many supposed decorators use Easifill because it is very cheap and extremely easy to sand.

Try sanding a wall after it has been filled with Easifill and painted. As soon as the 80-150 grit paper hits an area with easifill, the paint will rip off the surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back