Flaking paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Use Zinsser bullseye 123 2 coats of the primer and then 2 coats of perma white Matt . Now is flaking . Where it has flaked when push finger in gap feels like plastic material on ceiling . Am I using correct paint and what is this plastic on ceiling

Attachments

• 8260BD4E-FF8C-4BF8-88CE-0A15C0CF55A5.jpeg
    8260BD4E-FF8C-4BF8-88CE-0A15C0CF55A5.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
It would help if you expand on the back story.

Eg, why did you use "problem solving" paints in the first place?

Edit----- sorry if that sounds very blunt but I don't want to spend my time guessing the back story. I am a professional decorator but if I see another question that is easier to answer, I am likely to flutter off to that one.

The more information that you can offer us, the more likely we are t be able to help you. How long ago? Why did you use an expensive primmer, etc.

Last edited:
Repainted bathroom ceiling due to mould growing on ceiling . Not sure what paint was used previously . Used 2 coats of primer and 2 Zinsser anti mould paint . Not sure if I’m using the correct paint and not sure what type of surface the ceiling is . It feels like plastic as in plastic bath panel on side of bath . Also high humidity in bathroom 90%

The mould that previously formed on the ceiling- could you wipe it off or did it just smudge rather than wiping off in any meaningful definition of the word?

If the former, I would guess that it may have been vinyl silk or water based eggshell.

If the latter, it may well have been regular matt emulsion. Once the black spots appear, they are very difficult to remove on regular matt emulsion.

I can't quite work out if you mean that the newly flaking paint feels like plastic or the original paint.

If the room has massive levels of steam after, for example, showering, most water based paints will become rubbery. Oil based paints will be more durable but if the issue is excessively warm moist air, you really need to increase airflow.

In the past, I have used oil based eggshell in bathrooms with excessively steam. In each case it worked but it served to mask the fact that the ventilation was not up to scratch.

Sponsored Links
Whatever paint previous owner used the mould did come off with different types of mould spray used . But then week or two down the line mould was coming back .

So that’s why I thought maybe try the anti mould paint Matt Zinsser .

When I say plastic I mean the surface I’m painting onto . Whatever paint was used before has come away exposing like a white pvc material . It feels plastic like side of bath panel rather than a stone ceiling .

So maybe I should try an oil based paint at another time ?

Was hoping to repaint where it’s cracked with anti mould Zinsser and hopefully wont look too bad for time being

OK, so you used

Did the paint only crack and blister after you applied the Zinsser?

I haven't used PermaWhite in steamy rooms before.

My (unqualified) gut instinct is that the matt Zinsser is trapping the water and then causing the previously sound existing paint to fail.

By and large, I like certain Zinsser products. I do worry about terms like "anti-mould" though. Granted they contain biocides to inhibit mould growth but they are not silver bullets.

Again, I like @foxhole are inclined to think that the main problem is insufficient ventilation.

If you, for whatever reason, you are unable to improve the ventilation, oil based satinwood will provide an a finish that should be impervious to the steam from showers, but expect the condensate to drip from the ceiling after showering.

Thanks for reply . Yes the paint cracked after applying the Zinsser first without primer . Then tried paint again with Zinsser bullseye 123 primer then Zinsser perma white and still the paint flaked . Was hoping that the primer was going to make it okay .

Not sure what previous paint was before I painted but it looked good enough just mould then started to form in winter that’s why I went for an anti mould paint Matt .

Humidity does not seem to go down much with window open

Thanks for reply . Yes the paint cracked after applying the Zinsser first without primer . Then tried paint again with Zinsser bullseye 123 primer then Zinsser perma white and still the paint flaked . Was hoping that the primer was going to make it okay .

Not sure what previous paint was before I painted but it looked good enough just mould then started to form in winter that’s why I went for an anti mould paint Matt .

Humidity does not seem to go down much with window open
Bathroom needs mechanical ventilation when room is in use .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back