Getting paint off plaster ................. it's killing me!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's probably an easy solution to this, I just don't know it yet.
I've stripped the wallpaper from a bedroom leaving walls that are half bare plaster & half orange paint ........... well I think it's paint.
What else could it be?
The problem is that it is incredibly slow going trying to scrape the paint off with a scraper.
Any thoughts people?
Oh, I'm loathe to try a steamer because I don't want to get the carpet wet & buying one just for one room seems a bit extravagant.
In anticipation,

Slime.

Sponsored Links
I'm planning on lining it prior to painting but I'm worried that the outlines of the paint patches will show through as it's been put on pretty thickly..
My lining paper is 1400 grade, if that helps.

Slime.

Sponsored Links
Give it a couple of coats of a cheap DIY white emulsion, after the first coat give it a light rub down, plus the emulsion will show up any imperfections for a second fill, and you wont get any nibs or bumps showing through the lining paper.
The Emulsion coats will also make the hanging of the lining paper easier.

Okay, belated update.
I put on two layers of 1400 grade lining paper & the outlines of the old paint were still visible in certain light conditions!
I've moved onto another room & I'm faced with the same problems.
Here's a piccy to give you an idea,

RGi8WGa.jpg

Is it worth using some Easy Fill or, ideally, does anybody make any kind of paint based filler that can be painted on the bare bits, or even just some very thick paint.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

Slime
[/url]

Mix some easi-fill up quite wet and feather around all the edges with a thin coat ,rub down when dry and then you can just decorate .As long as all the old paint was back to a firm edge it should look good even If you have to fill bits again after a coat of emulsion

A cheap quarter sheet sander with decent sandpaper should sort it.

A cheap quarter sheet sander with decent sandpaper should sort it.

Thanks for your help joe-90 .................. but!
I've tried sanding, but, as the paint is a lot more solid than the bare bits of plaster, I find that I'm also sanding the plaster away & creating plumes of plaster dust whilst still leaving definite edges on the paint!

Slime.

Mix some easi-fill up quite wet and feather around all the edges with a thin coat ,rub down when dry and then you can just decorate .As long as all the old paint was back to a firm edge it should look good even If you have to fill bits again after a coat of emulsion

Good shout jcb208.
I think I'll give that a go in the next few days.
I guess I don't want to mix the easy-fill too wet because it'll just slide off the wall & damage the carpet! I'll just experiment & see how I get on.
Thanks mate,

Slime.

Good luck with easi-fill. I find impossible for very thin skims. It's dead soft and will abrade before your paint when you sand it back and you'll be in the same position.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back