Prepping old coving before painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We've not long been moved into our house which needs a lot of work etc. One thing is all the coving in the living and dining rooms has been painted in thick gloss (luminous blue!!!) and in places is a bit rough and lumpy. As i'm on a real tight budget i don't want to remove the coving but would like to repaint in a white matt finish. I could just paint it as it is but the coving has areas where the thick paint has peeled off and areas that need to be smoothed a bit.

My question is, do i have to spend hours carefully going over the whole lot with a sander etc or can i buy some sort of filling paint which i paint on to smooth over any imperfections?? Obviously i'll have to smooth off big lumps by hand first but its just any smaller imperfections i'm left with.

Any advice or help would be appreciated :)

Cheers all!
Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back