Coving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst decorating my kitchen I decided to rub down my coving as full of drips and lumps, however the coarse sandpaper was doing nothing! The paint is the same as was used all over the ceiling, very thick and almost a bit rubbery, and showing every brush mark! I am assuming this is some sort of finish to conceal hairline cracks???
As sandpaper wouldnt touch it, I have started to use paint stripper but now getting into bit of mess as underneath the paint, the coving seems to an unusual texture (almost like paper) not the plaster I was expecting??? Can I continue to use the paint stripper or will this 'blow' the coving?
Any advice gratefully received![/img]

Sponsored Links
Could they be made of MDF, does that 'peel' like paper when it gets wet?

The paint is the same as was used all over the ceiling, very thick and almost a bit rubbery,

RUBBERY JUBBERY as they say in Japan!

My thoughts on that are the paint is Vinyl silk..if it is humped on and too thick it sometimes gives the appearence of being rubbery when its rubbed down...does it tend to form hardish patches that clog the abrasive paper your using?..

I wouldnt use paint stripper, one...it doesnt work very well with water based paints and two...the water you will need to wash it off will eventually wreck the face of the coving.

The unusual 'almost like paper' texture is paper , coving os covered with a thick layer of paper, much the same as plasterboard, the paper is slowly peeling from the surface.

It sounds like the paint has just been slung on I would sand the whole surface to roughen it, because filler doesnt stick very well to silk and then fill it..lightly, then fill it again until you have the finish you require.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Zampa, completed the job today and looks pretty good!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back