Press the red button!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Advice needed please! We have a very old Worcester 9.25 boiler and the only way we can get hot water is by pressing the red button inside the casing. What does this red button actually do that makes the boiler work again? Someone on here recommended I press it a couple of years ago when it wasn't firing, but now we have to press it all the time- why is this??
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
sounds like the reset button or over heat button, might be best to get someone out especially if you have to keep pressing it, its a safety feature telling you something is not right, usually air in system creating steam and overheating, or pump not working properly and not getting rid of the heat quick enough.

On a 9.24 this is usually caused by the calorifier scaling up or occasionally faulty HW sensor now getting on for 23 year old

ON the 9.24 this is the pilot light ignition button.

Sponsored Links
sounds like the reset button or over heat button, might be best to get someone out especially if you have to keep pressing it, its a safety feature telling you something is not right, usually air in system creating steam and overheating, or pump not working properly and not getting rid of the heat quick enough.

It does make awful noises sometmies, so that could be air in the system- is there any way someone like me could get the air out?

It does make awful noises sometmies, so that could be air in the system- is there any way someone like me could get the air out?

OR should we be thinking about replacing the boiler altogether????

You should be finding out how much it will cost to put right, and if it is safe to use.

If you buy an efficient new boiler, it might (for example) cost you £2,500 and save you £100 a year in gas. This is not a financially rewarding proposition, under most circumstances you would to better to save or invest the money. If you take out a loan, then you will end up badly out of pocket, since the interest cost will be greater than the efficiency savings over the life of the new boiler.

You can very easily give the system a Chemical Clean yourself, this need only cost about £15 for the cleaning chemical, and £15 for new inhibitor after draining and flushing. It will take you a couple of half-days draining and filling, but is simple. If you can do simple plumbing and can afford £100, you could additionally fit a Magnaclean, which will trap black sediment loosened by the chemicals (you can never rinse it all out). I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted to see how much sludge it collects, and it carries on working permanently. This plus the chemicals may get the system clean enough to save you having to pay hundred of pounds for a powerflush. It will certainly do a lot of good, even if you later have a pro round. Getting the system clean first yourself may mean they don't tell you that you have to pay them to clean it.

It sounds like you also have an ignition fault that needs professional attention. I don't know about that.

I am a householder not a pro.

You should be finding out how much it will cost to put right, and if it is safe to use.

If you buy an efficient new boiler, it might (for example) cost you £2,500 and save you £100 a year in gas. This is not a financially rewarding proposition, under most circumstances you would to better to save or invest the money. If you take out a loan, then you will end up badly out of pocket, since the interest cost will be greater than the efficiency savings over the life of the new boiler.

You can very easily give the system a Chemical Clean yourself, this need only cost about £15 for the cleaning chemical, and £15 for new inhibitor after draining and flushing. It will take you a couple of half-days draining and filling, but is simple. If you can do simple plumbing and can afford £100, you could additionally fit a Magnaclean, which will trap black sediment loosened by the chemicals (you can never rinse it all out). I guarantee you will be amazed and delighted to see how much sludge it collects, and it carries on working permanently. This plus the chemicals may get the system clean enough to save you having to pay hundred of pounds for a powerflush. It will certainly do a lot of good, even if you later have a pro round. Getting the system clean first yourself may mean they don't tell you that you have to pay them to clean it.

It sounds like you also have an ignition fault that needs professional attention. I don't know about that.

I am a householder not a pro.

We just don't want to have to spend money on it if it's on its way out anyway! We have had several bits and pieces replaced over the years but I believe the boiler is obsolete now anyway. Wondered if it may be worth getting a new one (looking at the Ariston Clas 38HE)
Do you know roughly how much it would cost in labour to replace a boiler?

do NOT look at an Ariston,ever.

look at anything else,but don`t look at an ariston

agree with mickyg on your other post, they really are not very good
in past so that would preclude me from ever fitting their new ones.[/quote]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back