pressure cooker gasket keeps failing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a rather new (4yr old) Prestige pressure cooker, which seems to destroy its own gasket. It appears that the gasket succumbs to the heat and expands or otherwise becomes mis-shapen then fails to seat properly.
The first time this happened I simply replaced the gasket, but exactly the same has now happened to the replacement. To begin with, the gasket would eventually resume its shape and the vessel would seal, but with repeated use the gasket has again cooked out of seal.

I feel that this must be user error but I can't work out what is going wrong.
Is this a known problem? any wizard wheezes?
any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Two things come to mind.

Is the lid being tightened down fully ? If not fully down the pressure could force the gasket out of place.

Are you cooking at a very high pressure that is beyond the design spec of the gasket ? Does the pressure relief valve operate while you are cooking ? this would hindicate pressure might be excessive. ( based my aunt's pressure cooker which had a pressure setting valve and a separate fixed pressure relief valve )

INteresting; - That (the lid not being locked home) was my first thought too. Whenever I have used it I have found the quarter-turn interlocking flange locking procedure to be somewhat harder than I would have expected for an appliance designed for domestic use. It is possible that my co-director is not locking her flanges appropriately...
as for the design spec of the gasket.... they are only a few quid and don't come with a data sheet so it's difficult to tell.
The vessel does not have a fixed PRV.
I have just noticed that on the front cover of the manual it actually specifically advises "For performance and safety, remember to replace your gasket every 12 months"....!

Sponsored Links
it may help to rub the "rubber" seal lightly with cooking oil, so it can slide easily into position when the lid is turned. The older aluminium pans were prone to roughness and benefitted from a polish with a green scourer.

If you're using a gas hob it's possible for the flames or heat to lick up the sides of the pan and heat the flange.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back