Pressure Dropping, but not completely

So...
Topped it up to 1.5 bar and then isolated it from CH and not used hot water for the last 19 hours.

Placed a tied bag around the Pressure relief valve pipe outside - Often PRV don’t shut back off if they’ve been used a lot. Considering the expansion vessel was flat before and it was causing pressure to rise then dump it out the valve thought this could be the culprit of the leak.

Additionally intercepted the condensation distribution/condensation waste from the boiler into a jug.

Left it for 19 hours, results as follows:

At 23:00 before going to bed: boiler pressure at 1.5bar temp at 33 degrees (longest I could let it cool from showers before going to bed). No water in PRV bag or condense jug.

At 07:57 before going to work the following morning: boiler pressure at 0.9bar temp 21 degrees. No water in PRV bag - although pipe end was damp. No water in condense jug.

at 19:35 this evening back from work. boiler pressure at 0.8bar, temp at 18 degrees. Condensed water droplets on inside of bag, pipe end had a drop on it. A thimbles worth of water in condense jug.

So now - could the drop in pressure I see when isolated be explained by simple physics of the water being hotter, then cooler, then cooler still + a tiny leak of the PRV? Is there an easy way to disconnect the valve to the pipe outside so I can see any leak in it clearly?

I'm guessing a leak at the PRV would get worse when the boiler is on as it's under more pressure - so this could be the leak i'm having. Or I also have a small leak somewhere in the tiny bit of my flat that is unsighted. Joy (although at this rate i'd rather it that than a new exchanger!).

Sponsored Links
Reconnected CH - no sudden drop in pressure, did dip a little bit. But on CH for 20 minutes and pressure rose sharply to 2.8bar - I'm guessing the air in the system? Turned it off. Left it for a bit, bled the radiators - one had quite a bit of air in it. Left it to cool down.

Noticed the PRV bag outside had a lot of water in it around 70ml. So either it's that valve, or the expansion vessel has a leak? The latter being unlikely as it was serviced last week and gas safe man seemed to think it was ok...

I remember seeing a list of what they would repair on fpr and the heat ex was not on it, maybe they have changed over the last few years.
Hi @picasso , I work for Corig HomePlan sometimes. For an ecoTEC 630 system boiler I had a job which I suspected main hex is leaking only when boiler is running so hot.

Corgi called Vaillant fixed price repair, they came out on this Monday, said it is the hex, and they will replace it.

Ok. in the last 24hours it hasn't lost any pressure. I isolated the boiler in the morning when it was cold, and it didn't lose anything. I reconnected it to the CH and it didn't lose anything, and I used hot water without it losing any pressure.

I put the central heating on for 5 minutes and pressure continually rises till it gets close to 3bar before I turn it off. This is maddening. Any ideas what is causing this?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back