Pressure in boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm a new user here!

I have a very limited knowledge of plumbing and boilers! Over the past few days I have read threads and threads about pressures and leaks!

Our boiler was fitted in July, worcester 37cdi combi.

Boiler pressure was at 0 on Thursday evening, the heating should have clicked on but hadn't, which prompted us to look at the boiler. Couldn't get in touch with our gas man so went to the worcester web site and followed the instructions to top up.

Ran the heating as normal and took pictures of the cold system at 1bar and then also after the heating had been on and then cooled. This has shown a drop in pressure, over two days.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/Wrighty_26/image_zpsecf08ce7.jpg

Fresh topped up boiler

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s521/Wrighty_26/image_zpsa02ca7e1.jpg

Boiler after two days.

Both pictures are of a cooled system, the pressure doesn't seem to drop when the heating is on.

Has anybody got any ideas, help or advise?

I've topped the boiler back up to 1bar this morning.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It seems to me that the installer did not check the expansion vessel pressure when he fitted the boiler.

This seems a very common problem on Worcester boilers and with careless installers!

It should be considered under his installation guarantee.

Worcester are very good to buyers of their boilers and might well come and correct it although in my view its totally the installer's responsibility.

But then I have great expectations of installer's duties!

Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony, like I said I have very limited knowledge and my biggest concern is a leak!

I have had the CH on since I topped the system up this morning, and it has been at a constant 2bar, no drops. Does this mean no leak? And a fault with the part you mention?

I still haven't spoke to my installer, what would you suggest my next course of action should be?

Thanks Again!

You should only top up to about 1 Bar and when its hot it should rise to no more than about 1.4 Bar.

There might always be a leak but from the limited info you have given I think its more likely to be the EXV at fault as these seem a weak point on this make and not helped by installers who dont check the pressure on instals.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Yeah - I topped it it up to bang on 1bar this morning, and ch has been on ever since, the pressure has risin to 2bar, is this a fault also?

I knew it was meant to rise and my extensive google search has lead me to believe it was a normal rise, but is it not?

I have had a bag tied to the cooper pipe that goes to the outside, and this is bone dry, does this mean it is not the exv or are these not connected?

Sorry for all the questions, trying to get the bottom of this is driving me mad! But also want to understand!

You should only top up to about 1 Bar and when its hot it should rise to no more than about 1.4 Bar.

There might always be a leak but from the limited info you have given I think its more likely to be the EXV at fault as these seem a weak point on this make and not helped by installers who dont check the pressure on instals.

The bag is a good idea and see if it fills up!

Rising to 2 Bar is excessive and indicates a failed EXV.

Tony

Thanks for all input,

The hubby has just came in and with the system cold gone round every radiator taking the valves off both ends checking for drips. We found two that we *think* had a droplet of water, we have now put some kitchen roll round them and will check again in the morning, this sound like a plan of attack?

Could these two *small* (if any droplets at all) - be causing this pressure problems?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back