Pressure increasing then dropping + water going hot and cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have Saunier Duval F24E Thema Condens Combi boiler.

Since moving into house in March the hot water has been cycling hot and cold every 15-30 seconds or so.

One month back pressure would simply drop and then leak out lots through overflow requiring a top up.

Had PRV replaced and now different symptoms. Pressure will increase from about 08 to 2.9 before boiler pressure flashes and then slowly comes down to about 0.6 (slight leak from overflow but not as much as with previous PRV). Occasionally having to top up from mains.

Now when heating engineer replaced PRV he said that replacing the expansion vessel would be needed to fix pressure problem. He tried to charge it but the valve was too close to the mounting to use his pump. We tried with my foot pump but a lot of air escaped when removing valve so I'm not convinced that it successfully charged it (does it charge naturally over time?).

Anyway I'm wondering what my best plan of action should be. Could the plate heat exchanger be responsible for both the short cycling and the pressure increasing and subsequent water loss? Is it likely that the expansion vessel does just need changing rather than just charging.

The system does need a good dose of inhibitor (having continually having topped up) so do need to get to the bottom of the water loss problem in the first instance before tackling the hot and cold issue; unless they are one of the same.

Many thanks in advance. Peter.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Pressurising the vessel made no difference. I've noticed the vessel remains cold. I'm guessing it should get hot. is this a sure sign that the pipe is blocked? thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back