Pressure Loss through Condesnation pipe ISAR HE24

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know if any can help, but we've got an ISAR HE24 Combi (fitted by warmfront 5 years ago) and it's losing pressure from the CH circuit.

I've re-pressurised the EV (it was on virtually nothing) but this has had no effect, and the water loss is not out of the pressure relief pipe, it is the condensation pipe. I've measured the loss with a jug under the pipe and it is definitely the source of the leak - now having to re-pressurise every day and boiler is chucking at least a pint of water out the condensation pipe every day.

Spoke to a boiler engineer today and after he had given me the standard response on the reliability of IDEAL boilers he reckoned it's the main heat exchanger that's leaking inside and would not be cost effective to repair - and after looking at prices for the Heat Engine part of £500+ he seems ot be right.

Just wondered if anyone could confim that this is the problem before I write off the boiler, or is there anything else I can try first?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
no the condespipe is suppsoed to have water coming out of it you etheir have leak on rad or in the boiler

If you have water coming from the condensate, when the boiler is turned off, then he is correct,it,s the HX :cry:

If you can live without the boiler working for 12/24hrs try this.

Turn the electrics off.

Pressure the boiler to 2 bar.

Close off CH isolation valves fully.

Leave a jug under the condensate pipe for the duration of the test.

You shouldnt get any water in the jug now. If you do get water and the pressure drops then the heat exchanger is done for.

Sponsored Links
Boiler doesn't leak when turned off, but the amount of water coming out is surely too high for normal boiler operation?

I'm putting water in to the system every day, and all of the water I'm adding is coming out the condensation pipe. To put this in pressure terms I'm adding 1 bar per day and that's how much is being lost - 1-1.5 pints measured in a jug under the pipe. Is this level of condensation normal for the boiler when used for around 4-5 hours a day?

Can't see how this is a leak as there is no water visible anywhere in the bungalow on any of the rads/pipes and I think we would have noticed 7+ pints of water per week leaking somewhere.

Other than pressure loss system is working spot on, DHW is hot and boiler heats rads quickly.

Thanks petit_pablo.

Water does only seem to come out of condensation pipe when boiler is in use from a test I did last week. I pressured the system up and left boiler off during the day and didn't lose any pressure, and no water came out of the pipe. This was with the CH circuit valves open, and that's what made me think it's not a leak in the system and must be the boiler 'using the water up' when running. Although I admit, I have no idea how the boiler could 'use the water up', but it seems the best way to describe what is happening.

I'll try the same test with the CH valves closed and see if any water comes out of the pipe / pressure drops.

different senario with me but same part. To replace a heat ex independently is around £730 all in. Ideal directly do an out of warrenty repair inc heat exchanger for £390 or with a year cover on the boiler too £440. Alot cheaper, although we've decided to replace!

If a condensing boiler is working efficiently, you should expect a steady trickle (or frequent flushes) of condensate. Every litre of condensate implies a gas bill saving of about 2p.

I have been cursed with two Keston Celsius 25 boilers and they have both had new heat exchangers.

Maybe you should get you system pressure tested (and flushed clean) before deciding you need to spend £1000+ on fitting a new boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back