Pressure relief valve pipework - guidance please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone out there offer me advice on the following.
In Oct 2008 my 20 year old traditional gas heating boiler was replaced with a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDi condensing combi boiler. This work was carried out by a Corgi/IHPE registered heating company.
After a few weeks I had to request a visit from Worcester and their service engineer promptly attended and replaced a faulty pump.
However during his checks of the boiler the engineer pointed out that the pressure relief drain pipe was improperly installed. The arrangement being the pressure relief valve outlet was inserted (slip fitted) inside a short length of 15mm plastic pipe and connected via a tee piece into the plastic condensate drainage pipe. I was advised to contact the installer to rectify this arrangement by fitting a copper pipe to be run directly from the valve to the outside of the house.
I have spoken to the installer who states there is nothing wrong and I have no cause to worry. I referred him to the Worcester Bosch installation manual which states copper pipe should be used but he responded by saying this was a 'grey area'.
I seem to be getting nowhere and it appears the installer is reluctant to carry out any additional work. Do I have a genuine complaint and what action can I take to put the matter right.

Sponsored Links
dont let this rouge take you for a ride get him back to install the discharge pipework correctly as you say its in black and white spelt out requirements from the manufacturers instructions

Call Gas Safe Register, ask for Sam Green, and tell him you are the victim of cowboy work and ask for a visit.
An inspector will come to check the installation, and if anything is wrong, they will force the installer to rectify free of charge.

As above, theres no "grey area" it must be taken outside and be in copper all the way and either kicked back to wall or taken down to floor.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks to gaspro1981, bengasman and gigz for their advice on the above subject. I will ring GasSafe to seek their assistance.
Another issue I have with my installer is that I have not received a Building Regs Compliance certificate. (It is now some 6 months since installation) He says he has sent in a notification - Corgi has no record of this! I can neither prove of disprove either statement. Is there any way round this as I understand this document is important if I move house at some future date.
Sorry for adding to my tale of woe but it is a worry not having everything in order.

The latest on this, although still unofficial, is that the project of notification is scrapped.
The whole idea was a lot of nonsense anyways as it involved no more than forms going from one desk to another without anybody checking if the info was correct or completely made up.

Some manufacturers alllow this method and some even build it in within the boiler itself but the manufacturers instructions are what it should be installed with even if its not actually a problem.

Notification for flued appliances is not being scrapped , but no longer a need to notify cookers or flueless stuff,
ICGS what manufacturer allows prv to terminate inside condensate pipe or build it in within boiler.

OP just ask him to register it again with gassafe it costs the princely sum of £2.30 online and takes 2 minutes

You clearly have one of these installers who is both lazy and argumentative!

The vent to the PRV should be in copper all the way ( unless going through a fannytrap ).

Call the installer and tell him that you want to vent corrected to be in copper and that you want an installation certificate showing thet Building Control has been notified.

If neither is done then you can complain to Gas safe and they will investigate.

Tony

Bolstered by all the info provided by the forum experts I have spoken to my installer who has agreed to instal the copper pipework and also to arrange for an installation/compliance certificate. When this complete I will be satisfied that the installation will be as it should be.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
I very much appreciate the help given.

Notification for flued appliances is not being scrapped , but no longer a need to notify cookers or flueless stuff,
ICGS what manufacturer allows prv to terminate inside condensate pipe or build it in within boiler.

OP just ask him to register it again with gassafe it costs the princely sum of £2.30 online and takes 2 minutes

To name but two MHS and Strebel. :rolleyes:

2 well known domestic boiler manufacturers,
what models would that be then that allow a prv to discharge into a standard plastic condensate pipe

I replied because i hate to see sweeping statements such as it has to be copper so from experience of some products i said some allow it and build it in but MI's over rule and should be followed.

I never said they were well know domestic manufacturers i said some manufacturers allow it or do it internal this way.

Even thought their range of boiler is well suited for the domestic market priced as cheap as other manufacturers,they are for a small target audience.This could be said of many manufacturers that not long ago people would have said they're commercial but are now being seen more commonly in peoples homes ie Atag,Broag,Hoval,Viessmann.

Lee

namsag,

the only MHS boiler i have seen is a strata streamline,
got one in a youth project in pollok.
7 years old not one recorded breakdown, but conventional PRV piped to outside

At the end of the day he has a worcester 30cdi so it needs to be in copper ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back