Prettyish outdoor halogen lamp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Are there any outdoor lights that take a halogen (or output similar light) and don't look like a standard floodlight? Why is it that all good looking outdoor lights (like lanterns) have the same output as a candle and all the halogen outdoor lamps look like prison lights?

Sponsored Links
Mainly because once one reaches 150W one has to apply for permission to use the lamps. It is unlikely it will be granted for domestic so why make lamps at 150W and above for domestic use?

There are many lamps which can exceed the light output of the halogen lamps I use a 70W Metal Halide, although in my case it is a standard flood there is no reason why the control gear could not be built into another type of lamp.

Sponsored Links
Mainly because once one reaches 150W one has to apply for permission to use the lamps. It is unlikely it will be granted for domestic so why make lamps at 150W and above for domestic use?

There are many lamps which can exceed the light output of the halogen lamps I use a 70W Metal Halide, although in my case it is a standard flood there is no reason why the control gear could not be built into another type of lamp.
What do you mean you need permission to use lamps over 150W? Surely you can buy a 600W halogen floodlight in B&Q and use it in your rear garden.

What do you mean you need permission to use lamps over 150W? Surely you can buy a 600W halogen floodlight in B&Q and use it in your rear garden.

It does not comply with part L of the building regs. You should not need any more than 150 watts, unless you trying to light a football pitch! I tend to fit a lot of 38W low energy fittings nowadays. They give out plenty of light.

Maximum for halogen floodlights is now 100W.
Uncontrolled outside lights are not permitted at all - daylight sensors are always required.
Halogen and other grossly inefficient lights must also have movement sensors so they only operate when people are in the vicinity.

Surely you can buy a 600W halogen floodlight in B&Q and use it in your rear garden.
You can also buy bricks, sand, cement, timber, windows, electrical accessories, doors, stairs, roofing tiles, gas boilers, radiators, copper pipe, bathroom accessories and kitchens in B&Q.

That does not mean that you can use them to build a house in your rear garden without permission.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back