Preventing bamboo from mould??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I would like to use some 40mm thick bamboo worktop in an area where it will be exposed to the weather. Though quite water resistant it seems bamboo goes maouldy due to the high sugar content in the wood (grass!) . . .

Anyone got any suggestions as to how best to protect the bamboo? Cuprinol? Exterior Varnish? The sections would be about 300mm by 300mm so it would be feasible to soak these in a liquid of some type . . .

any suggestions gratefully recieved!

Huey

Sponsored Links
Mold needs little air movement to take hold should not be a problem outside and has to be sealed well.Oil is best, Danish or teak oil [test first for colour]will need very regular maintenance outside.

thanks = do you mean it will be OK as long as it gets plenty of air movement? I'll try witha sample . .

cheers

i don't think any worktops that are glued from small staves are going to last that long outside. sometimes people mistake "water resistant glue" for "water resistant unit".

Sponsored Links
I have an offcut of bamboo that has stood outside my workshop for over two years now and it has stayed glued together ok.
It has warped to hell though, but i bet a good soaking in teak oil woulld see it ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back