Preventing cracks on lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

just doing a little bit of renovation. I have had cracks in the plaster going from the corner lintel window reveal up. I got the plaster (render) off, the lintel is kind of a monster and it looks not very well supported on the brickwork, only sitting on pack. I believe this coursed movement and cracks.

Would be EML over lintel and brickwork be enough to stop this. Or would it be beneficial to tie lintel and brickwork together in the reveal with a angle bracket or strap band.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Its possible that a slight dropping movement at the bearing end of the concrete lintel is causing the plaster cracks.
Are any cracks showing on the outside surface of the (solid?) wall?

The lintel could be Acrow propped and correct padstones inserted at both ends.

However, only do one end at a time and allow the padstone to settle for 24hrs before doing the other end.

Its really a job for a professional.

Hello,

thank you, no cracks in the brickwork from the outside, the lintel is also one brick course high at the outside. I believe they have been casted. The wall has got a cavity.

Would a strap band not work?

I have to add, all lintels in the house are the same, I already redone 2 rooms, all rooms have the same cracks (they are not wide 1-2mm tops).

The kitchen has been done 4 years ago and I did put EML over the area there the cracks have been. So far so good.

Other rooms have been redecorated and I tried to fill the crack but they come back in no time.

I would possibly avoid putting padstones in. Thx

Sponsored Links
Thanks ree, I should not have asked if I know what I wanted to do. :oops:

I get a builder and see what it will cost. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back