To crack or not to crack.?

This is what the front of the house looks like after being freshly dashed. Nothing flash, just plain old grey limestone. All of the windows you see at the front were replaced, and all had to have the reveals sorted.

They were (and still are) a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
You think it'll still go at some point Steve.?
yes i do im normally against boarding i like float and set this is one of the only times i would recommend boarding out, are the walls cavity? if your def going to float and set i would take the boards off from inside the reveal and replace them with longer ones so they protrude and you can float off them, so there you are my opinion is board out , and if you float and set you have to hope for the best

You have obviously put timber on the inside and then plaster boarded them. Is that correct? If so then I would of fixed the timber all the way around firmly ( you could even put marine ply on top of the timber)and put building paper over it and doubled up on the mesh and returned it around the corner about 18" and fixed it to your wall Then fixed standard angle beads on the corners then scratched it all then floated it out ready for your skim, I would not render over plaster board....

Sponsored Links
You have obviously put timber on the inside and then plaster boarded them. Is that correct? If so then I would of fixed the timber all the way around firmly ( you could even put marine ply on top of the timber)and put building paper over it and doubled up on the mesh and returned it around the corner about 18" and fixed it to your wall Then fixed standard angle beads on the corners then scratched it all then floated it out ready for your skim, I would not render over plaster board....

Thanks for the replies Steve, much appreciated.

Roy, Yes that's correct, I've got the timber frames all around, and yes, they are fixed very solidly.

I was a bit concerned over the plasterboard to be truthful, and really wasn't sure of whether to leave the faces of the frames shallow, so as any diff could be made up with the scratch and float.

I like the sound of using the paper and increasing the mesh, and, might go that route. how do you think that would fare to avoiding cracking.?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back