Preventing hex problems after powerflush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to powerflush clean my combi system and fit a magnaclean, however there is the possibility, I've learned on this site, of later problems with hex from further scale dislodging, that wont be picked up by the magna .

Reading previous postings, I believe it was Agile talked about fitting a strainer on the return.

How would this be best done and what type?

Would this be a temp measure, I'm thinking of flow restriction if lots of crud is trapped.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Cheers Ian.

Sponsored Links
An inline strainer collects any dirt even if not magnetic.

After proper power flushing there should not be much dirt to trap.

It can be repeatedly cleaned whenever it gets dirty.

Since a lot of skill is needed to get the best results from power flushing I would not greatly recommend it as a DIY job although any cleaning is better then none.

Tony

Thanks Tony for reply,

With regard to strainer, is there anything suitable off the shelf you could suggest. I would feel happier if one was fitted, even if it was only for the duration of flushing to protect boiler.

Thanks again Ian.

PS. I am pretty confident about powerflush/technique.

Y strainer:
thumb_22mm_bsp_y_strainer.jpg

Normal filter size around 400 microns.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for info Charnwood,

I take it the strainer extends from the branch right through to the straight
section to intercept dirt, & unscrews out complete to clean?

Ian.

Yes, but fit it with the plug downwards and ignore the arrow when on a vertical pipe.

Most have two gauzes. Remove the outer finer one othersise it gets clogged with very fine stuff too quickly.

Tony

Thanks again fellas for the prompt excellent advice.

This site is the best online. Has been a godsend to me in the past.

Ian.

Personally id slap a spirotech magnabooster in rather than a magnaclean. Better built, will last longer, easier to clean and it has both a mesh strainer and a magnet so best of both worlds.

Unless you know exactly what to do and how to do it, you won't clean your plate hex with a powerflush.
If you don't use acid with a powerflush, you might as well not bother.
If you've got half a brain, you won't mess with acid unless you know exactly how to handle it.
Moral of the story: the chances that you will sort the problems out with a diy powerflush are pretty slim.

If you fit a strainer like the one pictured, don't forget the isloating valves either side!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back