Preventing paint flakes falling into paint when opening a tin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just opened a year-old tin of paint and suffered flakes of dried paint and surface rust falling from the rim into the paint as the lid came away. It made me wonder if there is anything that can be done to stop this.

Any hints or tips? Or is it just one of those things that we have to tolerate?

Sponsored Links
As a time served decorator, there were many old tins of paint that needed to be filtered/recycled through a pair of 'me mams' old tights.

This was 40+yrs ago tho'. Not sure if Nora Batty style, 200 denier stockings with double re-inforced gussets are still available.

For future reference, consider storing tins upside-down. Make sure the lid is securely sealed first, though :D.

Sponsored Links
As per Dork.

All the old decorators used to filter their paint through tights. True I've seen it.

Wiping all the paint off the edges of the can helps before putting it away helps minimise paint flakes too.

As per Dork.

All the old decorators used to filter their paint through tights. True I've seen it.

I've done it! :)

Nowadays though I lay a loose film of cling film over the lid before closing the tin. It seems it dips into the rim and prevents flakes forming on the lip of the tin. It works for me anyway.

I've a design solution to this, as I too have the same problem. I'm currently trying to establish how many diy/pros have this issue, and whether the market is big enough to produce it.

Sponsored Links
Back