flaking paint on walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I recently moved into a 3 bed flat. I've stripped all the wall paper off, and am left with plaster walls and ceilings which are in good condition, but are covered in flaking paint.

I tried sanding, but it seems the paint hasn't adhered to the walls that wall, so it just slowly flakes off more and more. Then I discovered one of those strippers with a blade on the end. That worked really well, and I did the whole house. It didn't completely remove the piant, but it left a surface which was more or less paintable.

The problem...I didn't paint straight away, and found that over the days, the paint started peeling again! I tried steaming paint off, but it takes so long, and its so messy and horrible, I'm wondering if there's any other solution. Perhaps involving PVA?

Any help or tips much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
In that case you need to make the surface feel like you want the finished surface to feel. If you leave patches of paint on the wall then you'll always see the edges of them.

Sponsored Links
that's what i suspected... i wouldn't mind a texture that was a bit rough, as long as it was a sort of "unifrom" roughness, but i don't like the idea of seeing patches of old paint underneath.

what's the best way of getting a reasonably smooth surface? would it be possible to use a bit of filler to blend the patches of paint with the wall? and then perhaps a layer of pva over the whole lot? would that help at all? or am i much better off lining it?

bigfootlittle said:
what's the best way of getting a reasonably smooth surface?
"Best" is too hard to answer - one certain way would be to remove all of the old paint.

would it be possible to use a bit of filler to blend the patches of paint with the wall?
This stuff is quite good.

and then perhaps a layer of pva over the whole lot? would that help at all? or am i much better off lining it?
I'm a little perplexed by your fixation with PVA. Lining it is tempting.

Surely it's already sealed since it was already painted? :confused:

No point in sealing over loose paint etc..it treally needs to be taken right back to a sound surface oherwise it wil cause you serious problems when you decorate over it..possibly costing you a lot of yur hard earned

Once you have got the walls back to a decent surface then you cn think about the next stage..

Wash it down to remove the old paste and rinse

When its dry give the walls a coat of water based primer sealer..

Fill..rub down

Then line the walls with 100 grade paper..see what it looks like when its dry, if there are still deviations then line again in the opposite direction to the first layer.

hey
i would suggest scrapping as much of the old paint off as possible then filling the walls using gyproc easi fill , you can use the filler to fill over the paint ridges , this stuff rubs down really easy. then line the walls using at least 1000 grade paper , i always use 1200 though its thicker and means less filling!! make sure you size the walls with paste . you can line the walls either horizontally or vertically which ever is easier for you . use a 12" caulking board to smooth the lining paper down not a brush the board is a lot better and it can be used as a straight edge for trimming. do not over lap the paper edges , it is easier to fill any joints that dont butt up but over laps are a nightmare.
then simply paint away.
phil

Old thread, I know, but I've found myself in the same position. Have just spent the day stripping the walls in our spare room, to be greeted with the sight of flaking paint underneath. If I'm just gonna re-wallpaper the room, am I just going to need to sand most of the offending bits off so that it's smooth, or will i need to remove ALL the paint flakes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back