Preventing porcelain from chipping when cutting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 600mm by 300mm porcelain tile that I have cut with a Plasplug electric tile cutter. It is the diamond wet wheel contract plus model.
I had to buy a special disc to cut porcelain but it still left chips along the tile after cutting the bit I wanted off.
I did it slowly and as straight as I could using the guide.
It is a good job that this tile was being fitted at the top of the wall of my bathroom where the chipped end will come in contact with the ceiling.

Can somebody please advise a solution to this problem? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can you adjust the height of the cutting wheel. If so then have it as high as possible so that the wheel is not cutting up through the tile but across it.

If not then i quess you are just going to have to either score the cut line first or support with tape (the latter may not offer much help- especiially if water is involved).

Make sure the guide is straight or open more at the back as the tile getting squashed between the guide and cutter can make chipping worse. Sorry cant be of more help!

i would as stated adjust the wheel, but also bin the guide, us a decent crayon / pencil that wont rub off just when wet but one that doesnt also mark your tiles.

I assume your cutting the tiles with the porcelain surface upermost!

Sponsored Links
Richard..

The part that is being glued to the wall is facing down. Does it make a difference?

Sounds right; the disc must cut down through the brittle face of the tile or it will chip away. My current diamond disc wet cutter is only 40 quid cheapo (Tile-it) but it does really well & I haven’t had any problems on either ceramic or porcelain tiles; I even cut 45 degree mitres for external corners without chipping; personally I don’t like plastic corner trim. It’s really only really an electric motor so providing the bearings are OK, it shouldn’t make much difference, the only things the budget cutters really lack are the more sophisticated tile stops & angled bed; perhaps your diamond disc is cack!

hmmm

Richard

I am beginning to think it might be cack. It wasn't cheap and bought it online.
It says:

Diamond wheel 'turbo cut'
150mm diamond impregnated cutting wheel. Also for premium results when cutting:
Quarry, Slate, Marble, stone.

Doesn't mention porcelain. But I gather this is the correct wheel? :rolleyes:

hmmm

Richard

I am beginning to think it might be cack. It wasn't cheap and bought it online.
It says:

Diamond wheel 'turbo cut'
150mm diamond impregnated cutting wheel. Also for premium results when cutting:
Quarry, Slate, Marble, stone.

Doesn't mention porcelain. But I gather this is the correct wheel? :rolleyes:

take a look at the elements here and think of porc, not a match!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ah i see ...so what you're saying is I have in my possession the wrong cutter?

Hence why it is chipping and not making a clean smooth cut?
:cry:

I've got a similar problem. My cutter (Clarke ETC180 240V 500W Electric Tile Cutter) is designed to cut ceramic, quarry tiles, slate and stone so I think I've got the right kinda cutter. But nevertheless, the edge of the tile (ceramic tile with crackle glaze) chips when I cut. I tried cutting two different crackle glaze tiles and I get the same problem. The water is topped up and I take my time cutting. I also tried cutting with glaze facing down but no cigar :oops: Any suggestions?

First, you need to scribe the tile and then cut down the other side of the scribe. This will be helpful in preventing porcelain from chipping. 
How does that help when using an electric tile cutter :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back