Preventing traffic noise through bathroom vent

mxo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am getting my bathroom refitted. The bathroom is top floor and facing onto a busy main road with lots of traffic. There isn’t currently an extractor fan.

Initially the plan was to fit the extractor fan into the wall, but I’m concerned this will allow all the traffic noise to come in.

Alternatively, I could put a vent tile in the roof and pipe a ceiling extractor fan to the vent, but I’m concerned this could still allow traffic noise in.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this problem?

Sponsored Links
There are acoustic vents and shuttered extractors for this purpose

There are baffles and foam products that will reduce the passage of sound through any duct, but they will also reduce the efficiency of the extract fan.

A wall fan with a mechanical shutter to close when not in use may be a better solution.

Sponsored Links
If you want to keep out traffic noise, brick the hole and vent elsewhere, the roof as you say probably your best option.
The downside, is of course cost. A more powerful fan, ducting, extra work involved.
But you'd be well annoyed if you'd gone for a shuttered option, only to be extremely disappointed that 1mm of thin plastic doesn't block the noise from motorbikes and lorries.

Are sound-proofed vent tiles available on the market, or are they all a standard model? This is for a slate roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back