Price to install floor joists in loftspace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a quote to install approximately 12 5x2 joists into my loft space including covering with 18mm chipboard.

The joists are to be hung from existing binders.

The floor is part of a 'loft space' conversion. So no formal loft conversion.

I have costed the material at approx £300. Based on 24 joist hangers@£3 each(£75), 12 5x2x3700@£145 and 7x2440x1200 chipboard at £108.

The quote I received was for just shy of £2k incl VAT.

I have cleared the loft space and re-routed any wiring that would be in the way.

Does this price seem about right? I may be clearly missing something but I would have imagined this work would take approx 2 days so may be excessive?

Sponsored Links
hi this seems expensive to me.

get at least 3 quotes. Also try the yellow pages/local directory for a freelance carpenter this may be cheaper than employing a builder and a good carpenter should be able to do the job and should cost £150 to £200 a day. the job if the roof space is cleared should only take 2/3 days.

you could also look at timber ibeams they make some special fixings that allow you to cut the beams at an angle to fix the slope of the loft and you may be able to fit them from the inside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws6MKmN9y2k

hope this helps

jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back