Insulation and joist binders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My first post so here goes (I've done a search)

I'm replacing the insulation in the loft and I'm going to board part of it out. I'm installing 100mm between the joists and, in a 5m x 3m area I'm going to put down 2 layers of space board both layers of which need to be glued with no more nails; on top there will be a sheet of standards T&G chipboard loft flooring which is glued at the T&Gs.

In the affected area there are 3 lengths of timber (standard T&G), on spanning the whole loft and two spanning several joists near the chimney breast - all acting as joist binders. If i lay the insulation on top of these then the floor wont be stable or level

Here's the question: Will the combined two layers of insulation and chipboard all provide sufficient rigidity to the joists such that I can remove the binders to provide a flat surface?

The whole loft is 7m x 5m so not too big and there'll be a couple of metres around the boarded area

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back