Securing Loft Joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wanted to board over the loft area to provide storage in our 1950's house. I need to add extra insulation and wanted to add more joists (at right angles to those there) put in 150mm extra insulation in between then Chipboard over the top. The loft currently has 6" by 2" wood binders down the length of the loft which make boarding out really awkward. So I thought could I replace these with metal straps running alongside and then cut out the wood binder. So the question is are the metal straps going to be sufficient support in place of the wood binder?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really unless you were to install timber noggins between the existing joists at the strap positions also. Is there a particular reason you want to add joists above the existing ones running the other way ?

Well I wanted to add more insulation over the existing 100mm but this current insulation is level with the existing joists and therefore I thought to add more I needed to add more joists so that I could then board over that. The reason I wanted to remove the existing binders is that they are awkwardly placed and therefore I don't get much space for boarding over.

Thanks for you advice

Sponsored Links
There probably wouldn't be a problem with running the additional joists that way although just be aware that it will not make the floor any stronger and you could argue that it makes it a bit weaker because it has to carry the extra joist weight.

An alternative would be to install deeper joists parallel with the existing if you can get them in ok and onto the walls, which would then strengthen the floor also, possibly to a standard suitable for a loft conversion in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back