Firewall in Loftspace Price to Expect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What price should I expect to pay for a firewall to built in my loft area? I am in a 4 in a block and I am in the top flat but there is no firewall in the loft so I can go in the neighbours loft space and vica versa. Really want to get it sealed off so I can start using the loftspace as a storage area.

Got a builder coming up on thursday night to give me a quote, the only one of 7 that returned my call. Also what materials would they use? Would it be breeze blocks, brick or plasterboard? Which is best?

Sponsored Links
A lot will depend upon access. Obviously the loft is the most distant part of the building, hence a logistical nightmare and the reason for only one reply in seven.

A stud wall is easier to construct where access is not limited via a small loft hatch. Plasterboards and lengths of timber may be awkward to feed into the loft space if access is limited.

A masonry block wall can be transported in a more fragmented state and assembled in the loft to form the wall, so where space is limited a block wall may be the answer.

Either will satisfy reg's.

Thanks for that.

The loft access is very limited and wouldnt be ideal to get long or wide pieces of plasterboard through. So I suspect the guy will go with the masonary breezeblock which as far as I am aware the breezeblocks are inexspensive.

Would you expect me to be paying more than £300?

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the job I would expect you to pay a lot more than £300.

Your right there, quoted me £2400. So that is about £300 for materials as I have priced them, £300 VAT and £1800 for their time which is he is a good brickie he would probably have done in 2 days at a push. Nearly collapsed when I got he quote.

Didnt realise my uncle was a brickie so he is going to get me the materials and build it.

The nature of the job means that it is not one you would rush to do. Builders will not be tripping over themselves to build a wall in the loft.

£2400 sounds like a lot. I guess it is for the pain.

When builders price for a job that they don't really want, they will often double or treble the price. That way if you do get the job its worth your while. Getting materials into flats can be a problem regarding damage in the common areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back