Loft Firewall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I recently had a surveyor around my mid terrace for the mortgage and he suggested that a firewall needs to be built between my loft space and next doors, as at the moment there is no wall between the two, there is a bricked wall between my other neighbor.

Just wondered, what would people suggest is the quickest and easiest way to do this? a plasterboard wall with fireproof insulation? or brick it up?

How long would someone suggest it would take a builder to do this and what should I be looking at to pay?

Just one other thing. is it my responsibility? or the neighbors? does it depend on which side of the property it is, maybe split the cost?

Thanks for your advice

Sponsored Links
I would say for ease of construction a stud wall faced with plasterboard would be simplest. Depending on the required fire rating, presuming it would need to be an hour minimum, you have to double skin the plasterboard 1x19mm thick and 1x12mm thick with staggered taped and filled joints. The edges and any gaps would have to be filled with intumescent sealer.

Also consider any timbers that are continuous through the fire wall (tiling battens, purlins, boards etc) these should be protected too either side of the wall. Not sure what distance though.

This construction would need to be the same on both sides so it would be fair to expect that your neighbour is liable for half the cost.

Down sides of this type of construction is limited access to the roof space so very difficult to get materials, large sheets of plasterboard etc into the workspace.

If there is a solid wall between you and your neighbour then it might be feasible to extend it up with concrete blockwork or brick to the roof line. You would need a cement parging (render) on one side to prevent smoke penetrating the joints.

Get advice from your local building control officer.

HTH

Alan

depending upon acess, a lightweight block wall can be as easy to construct due to the fact everything is carted up in smaller sections.

once pointed, thats it. no need for fixings or electric or plastering.

a solid chunk of masonry is more reassuring too. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back