Loft fire divide

D

Deleted 20747

Hi guys

This forum is excellent so thank you all for making it so.

I have a mid terrace house attached to a council property next door. Unfortunately, there is no divide between the lofts of the two properties!! Luckily, the neighbours next door never use their loft ever.

I need to build a firewall between the two properties but not sure how to go about it. One, there isnt much space especially near the eves. The highest point in the truss is about 1.4m then it dips sharply on both sides.

What do I do? What sort of board do I put up and how do i attach it to ensure it complies with fire regulations Damn council wouldnt give me a penny considering its a council property next door!

Your advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Use metal lathing and plasterboard. If you look on the web or phone the manufacturers they will send you a leaflet. Fireproof partitions are very common.

you can do as JohnD says or build a lightweight 100mm block wall. the fractured nature of the masonry wall method does lend itself well to restricted loft openings, though this isn't a precursor for using the block method.

either way it is going to be labour intensive. :(

Sponsored Links
Any suggestions what I can do towards the eaves where the reach is very limited. Also, are breeze blocks concrete? Need something that can be easily transported into the loft . Presume fireproof plasterboard can be easily cut and shaped?

Thanks for your tips guys.

sheeraz1 said:
Any suggestions what I can do towards the eaves where the reach is very limited. Also, are breeze blocks concrete? Need something that can be easily transported into the loft . Presume fireproof plasterboard can be easily cut and shaped?

Thanks for your tips guys.

Definitely use breeze. Not concrete as this could be too heavy. If that part of the building was supposed to have a big heavy concrete wall there then it would be there already. You can easily cut breeze to fit into the corners, But I would be tempted to just cut plasterboard to fit. Maybe build breeze wall in the main open section and plasterboard triangles in the sides and top. A layer of plaster over the top and who's to know? (apart from your neighbour)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back