Loft converting!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
I have just bought a Victorian property with a large loft space.
There is alot of room up there with out having to move any trusses.
I looked on my local council's site and it had a pdf file saying about the 30 min fire proof escape route. Is this as strict as they make out? This would mean changing every door and frame down the stairs and adding plaster board to all the walls in case they are not 30min with standing????
Is it really this hard to board out a loft to use as an office!?
Cheers
Dave

Sponsored Links
It's all down to your interpretation of the building regulations and your designation of the intended use of the space.

If you are designating the space as an office or bedroom, which deems it as a habitable space then you are required to provide a safe corridor to exit the building in the event of a fire, which also includes a fully compliant staircase, hence the building warrant/fire doors etc. etc.

If, for example, you decided that the loft was only being floored out to provide accessable storage space then you are saying that it is not a space that will be regularly visited or used for any purpose other than storage, and would not fall under the requirements of the building regulations.

Hope you get my drift

are you aware you joist are unlikly to be strong enough for other than light storage unless they are around the 8x2" mark!!!!

from memory they are about 2x4. They have already been cross in the opposite direction with 2x4s as well and the walls upstairs all seem to be supporting walls so this should help.

Sponsored Links
from memory they are about 2x4. They have already been cross in the opposite direction with 2x4s as well and the walls upstairs all seem to be supporting walls so this should help.

very very unlikley to be sufficiant for other than added space for insulation and a bit more rigidity :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back