Pricing a slate covered roof...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon guys. First post on here, so be gentle!

What it is is we have a two storey side extension to price for and the roof section will need covering in slate. Got to be honest and say slate is completely new to me and have never dealt with it.

The new extension will be gable ended and obviously new roof tied into existing.
Each side of the roof will be roughly around 17sqm

Hoping someone can help out here

Thanks again

Liam

Sponsored Links
Personally i would say £25 perm labour and approx £25 prm for materials if it is spanish or canadian slates, or about £95 per m for welsh slates.

That's great thanks for your input, appreciated. With the welsh slate @ £95 I'm assuming that's material only...

Sponsored Links
Yes the welsh slates are about £5 each for a 20x10 and there atr 17.5 per sqm

Or you could buy s/h slates to match the existing which would be about £1 each

Hello, just a note with regards to Welsh slate prices:

20x10s are not a regular size these days so the price on these come at a premium rate, which is currently about £3 +vat.
There are 18.5 20x10s on 3" lap so that would work out at £55.50 per m2.

However, if you opt for sizes that are are currently in production in Penrhyn, such as 16x12s then you would be paying about 1.85 per slate(+vat) x 20.8 slate per m2 = £38.48 per m2

To put it into context you'll be paying about 25% more in total for a Welsh Slate roof including all other materials and labour than you would be for a 'Premium Grade' Spanish slate roof.

Your Welsh slate roof will last at least 3 times as long, will look far better, will withstand occasional foot traffic and will be one hell of a lot greener and keep British workers in jobs! :)

The prices i gave are what roofing merchants in this area would typicaly charge a new customer for a relativly small amount.

I completly agree that they are the best you can buy if you can afford the price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back