Primer and Sandpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just joined this forum as I am new to DIY and will be doing it quite a bit from now on :)

One of my first projects is repainting a metal bed frame. I sanded it, cleaned it, then applied a spray primer.

However, I realised that the spray primer did not provide enough coverage, so purchased a one-coat metal paint and was old that a primer would not be needed.

I was told to sand the primer a bit, but doing so has made the surface smooth- not grippy. Should I stop sanding while I'm at an early stage?

Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
someone will be along with some detailed advice soon - but, what I have learned over the years is that, generally, anything that says 'one-coat' normally isn't!!

One-coat paints generally need primed surfaces. Its the undercoating that they don't need. That said, if the paint SAYS it doesn't need a primer then just abrade the surface a little with 240 or 320 grit paper first.

When you sand a surface in preparation for paint, you are doing a couple of things.
Firstly, it is to remove the sheen from the surface so that the next coat grips - the sandpaper isn't to roughen the surface, it's to provide a key. Secondly, sanding removes any high spots in the existing film and also de-nibs it (gets rid of any little bits that stick to the paint before it dried.)
The fact that you have primed shouldn't really make a difference to the 'no need for primer' paint, unless there is an unusual reaction, and you have been advised to sand just to ensure the paint grips. The surface feeling smooth is a good thing, as it will help achieve a better finish. Providing there is no shine, which shouldn't be the case with a primer, then you should be fine to proceed but make sure you wipe off any sanding dust with a damp cloth.

Welcome to the madhouse! :D

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, Mr Helpful! :)

I am glad that meant I could start painting it. I have just done the first coat. Made some clumsy mistakes (kept putting my hand on wet paint), but that can be sanded smooth tomorrow :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back