Suitable primer for exterior concrete prior to painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a building with external concrete bits that require a repaint. I use Sandtex Ultra Smooth Masonry Paint to match.

I am not sure whether it's been done with a primer before. I've certainly not used a primer when I've touched-up areas. I doubt the previous owners did to be honest. This is possibly why I keep needing to touch-up areas (maybe, it is outside after all).

I'd like to prepare the surfaces properly, but I'm confused as to what primer I should purchase.

It's not a garage floor I'm talking about... and it's not totally bare concrete, as I say, there's paint on there already, but I'm looking to at least sand it down to, hopefully, create a good surface for a new coat, then prime, then paint with matching Sandtex.

I gather there's about lots(!) of primers I could choose - does anyone have any recommendation as to type and even specific product? I won't blame you if it goes wrong, but I don't know whether an acrylic primer, polyurethane primer, epoxy primer or silane sealer is the way to go...

Any thoughts as to what you may have used in the past, with good results, would be very welcome.

I am also having an area of concrete repaired, so that will then end up being bare, new, fresh concrete - and I will need to paint that properly.

Sponsored Links
Any bare concrete, render etc will only need a thinned down coat of what ever your putting on to act as a primer. Then coat up with more full coats. If its flaking anywhere, scrape it off and apply a coat of stabilising solution to the affected areas prior to coating up with full coats. Do not use PVA or Silicon paints!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back