Problem painting a skimmed wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a problem painting a wall that was skimmed about 2 months ago.

I used a general purpose primer but when it dried it cracked in areas and peeled away in thin flakes. I've removed the flakes and sanded those areas back to a clean surface and repainted with a primer that specifically mentions plaster, but the problem keeps occuring at the junction with the earlier primer.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
what was the earlier primer you used? almost sounds like it was an oil based one from the problem you described

Yep....why did you use an oil based primer on new plaster? was it an exterior? or was you intending to finish the wall with an oil paint?

Sponsored Links
If the wall was skimmed two months ago, it should have dried out pretty much by now, especially if it's only skimmed. Skim coats only need days to dry out. All it would have needed is a wash coat of emulsion/water followed by a couple of coats of emulsion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back