primer for galvanised steel.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been asked to paint some galvanised roller shutter doors.What would you prime them with, and would uc/gloss be ok as a finish... Also two garage car ramps need to be repainted,what would be the best paint to use....

Sponsored Links
Calcium Plumbate, unless the Galv is brand new in which case very costly 2 pack paints are available from the like of Dulux tradecentres or similar.

Sponsored Links
No never heard of it Kevin is it any good?

Just out of interest whilst talking about painting roller shutters. I was once helping a friend out on a new site where they were having trouble with dozens of industrial doors. The doors were the new fast slide over type, similar to a garage door at home, only much bigger. To achieve the speed and get away with smaller and cheaper motors/wiring, these doors are very finely charged on the springing. The doors were all working very slowly or even not at all. My mate had fitted the doors previously before the power was on so we never commisioned them. The first thing he spotted was that they had been painted and he blamed this for them not working. Both me and the site agent couldn't believe it until we were shown a warning in the operating instructions about painted doors and warranty repairs. Apparently the springs are so finely charged the weight of the paint effects them. The builder had ordered them uncoated to save money and then painted them himself which caused the problem. Apparently when they are powder coated at the factory, they allow for the extra weight.

I kid you not it is true. :)

used to work in the transformer industry (the big uns)

and they washed the galv rads with t wash then they went black then after rinsing and drying they could be painted
and it stuck

not a smart comment a fact ex i dont actually know the name of the stuff they used but t wash :oops:

Thanks for the answers.The shutters were weathered , so I cleaned them down with a wire brush and coated them with zinc phosphate primer followed by undercoat and gloss.I dont like painting these shutters as they invariably stick and damage the finish,but the customer is always right even when you explain what will happen.....

Should have used TWash, other wise known as mordant solution like Kevplumb said.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back