Primer recommendation

Joined
15 Feb 2008
Messages
246
Reaction score
10
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve got a (old pine I guess) Plate-Rail that I’d like to paint.
It’s in an old bungalow and looks to still have its original dark brown stain.
I’ve wiped it down with Meths as I suspect its collected some grease and grime over 100 yrs or so.
Maybe even some wax - although it doesn’t appear at all waxy.
The stain seems quite dull and soft - it comes off onto the Meths cloth.
It’s not got a slippy surface like modern stains - it’s fairly mat.

What’s my best primer -
I’ve been considering two solvent based primers; either
ZINSSER B-I-N STAIN BLOCK INTERIOR MULTI SURFACE PRIMER
TIKKURILA OTEX ADHESION PRIMER

Much appreciated any advice on primer selection.

Best D
 
You need a shellac.
Wire wool and meths will clean it I think..
Plenty of.
If it's thick wax use paint striper and wire wool as it is easier so hold that though just in case.

Now you have options.
Foam roller and small can of BIN or 1 or 2 rattle cans off BIN.
Stand in hot water and shake spray can.
If it stays warm after shaking spray away.
It's a nice finish and one coat is enough.
Remember not much opacity with BIN so don't worry about that.
Got any water based undercoat kicking around?
Give it a coat and report back if any problems

Oh. I like the spray cans. Just easier. Cost effective as well sometimes
 

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.


Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

 
Back
Top