Priming a New Flat PREMDOOR FD30 Fire Door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello There, Can anyone help me please? I've got 9 off Fire Doors to paint and got some Dulux Primer/Undercoat (quick drying paint). It's that quick, it is dry immediately after applying and really patchy. Using a brush, I can't seem to get a uniform finish. I've prep'd cleaned the door, sanded and de-dusted before starting on the doors. Is there a solution of some kind that I should have used on the door before priming or is that just as it is with this paint and I just sand it again and get on with the second coat. Cheers again.

Sponsored Links
Best advice i can give is to search through posts on hear about acrylic/wb paints, there's quite a lot of info on hear about techniques and the better paints to use. I find the sikkens BL primer/undercoat about the best on open times but in this weather its gonna be a short window with any WB paint. If its panelled do them first and wipe off any paint you get on the faces with a damp cloth. You can also dampen the doors with a wet cloth before you start. There are also paint extenders like floetrol and Xim that keep the paint open longer but someone mentioned on here that Xim is gone (or going). Be careful to only decant and add extender to an amount of paint that you will use in that session as floetrol certainly makes paint go stringy after a bit of time.

Another subject that needs a sticky, why do we have to keep repeating ourselves on this forum? (aimed at mods not you bricky)!

Thanks for that dcdec, Lesson for me here here is....read the tin! ....Everything looked good for the Primer to be used but missed the bracketed detail of 'not to be Used on Fire Retardment material'. I contacted Dulux and was told that it would be ok to use if I diluted the paint with 20% water and give another coat on top of that. Thing is, I kept all paperwork that came with the doors that I obtained and there was no info about what paint could be used on them which might have helped. No excuses...amateur at work!

Proberbly painted them now but just thin the undercoat,apply by rad roller evenly half the door at a time and lay off with a synthetic brush

Sponsored Links
Thanks jcb208, Yeah job sorted. 20% diluted for 1st coat, 10% for second and then undercoated. Never known a surface like those doors had...or was it the paint?.... really dry after application.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back