Priming undercoat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to prime between undercoat plaster coats? The walls were primed with PVA before the first 10mm coat but is there any point in priming the new plaster before a further coat is applied? I am using Thistle Bonding plaster.

Sponsored Links
Subsequent base or finish plaster coats should be applied immediately after the previous coat has set but not dried out. If you leave it overnight (particularly Bonding) or let it dry out completely, you will have strong suction which, assuming you’re a DIYer, will give you a huge problem as the new coat will go off on you very quickly & you will run out of time. You need to kill the suction; you can use PVA or damp it all down well with a fine spray hose.

Thanks for that. Due to time constraints, the first coat is drying before I get the next coat on. I have been religiously applying diluted PVA between each coat so I guess I'll just carry on doing that.

Sponsored Links
I would just dampen the walls down, applying PVA to a base coat is costly and time consuming and if you don't do it right, you could have problems at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back