Private road higher than garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm trying to concrete my garden which has soil at the moment. The problem is though, that the garden level is lower then the street's road, hence causing rain to roll towards the house. There is a gutter next to the house, but if there is a heavy downpour, then it can't cope withe rain and some water floats alongside the house constantly, causing damp.

I would like advice as to what is the best method of solving such a problem.

Thanks for your help

RiPPeRUk

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a wall at the road end, with a ditch on the road side of it, and a pond to accumulate the water?

Hi,

Concreting your garden will, as is obvious, make the problem of dispersing rainwater worse. If you don't have anywhere the rainwater can go (and it doesn't sound like it) then probably the only way is to excavate and fill suitably sized soakaways, slope the concrete away from the house into gulleys, and drain into the soakaways.

Whether you concrete or not it sounds as if you already need some drainage to take the rainwater away. This can be done in soil but perhaps your interest is in the concrete solution.

Rgds.

thanks for your reply guys.

I have to have some sort of solid ground as its too muddy with only soil at the moment. Lawn would normally be the choice for me as kids can play outside, but the problem is that the garden is very small and kids will make a mess if there is a lawn.

I prefer concrete as the cheap alternative. My question is what is the best method of draining water from rain, especially if there are heavy downpours?

I have only one drain which takes all the water from the house and that is my only method of taking the rain too. Also as I said before, I can't slope the concrete away from the house as the road is higher than the garden.

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You wouldn't need to slope all of the garden away from the house - just a few feet, that will prevent a good bit of the water from running straight towards your house (would be worth extending the drain too, and situating it at the lower end of this slope)

Is it possible for you to tier the garden? Perhaps giving your garden different levels with something like a rockery would be an easier solution - and more pleasing on the eye? That way, you can also slope each tier slightly backwards (away from the house), and it will retain your soil (which is going to offer better drainage than concrete.

Good luck,

Gary

Why not have the drain/soakaway in the middle of the garden then slope (doesnt need to be huge gradient) the concrete into the garden rather than away to the edges.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back