Prob with Ideal Elan 2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.
My first post and i need your help. I'm having problems with the above boiler. The heating and hot water will only come on for about 10 mins before the boiler switches off.

I have noticed that there is a flickering red light next to the high/low thermostat switch on the boiler. Could this be the cause.

The room thermostat clicks ok, the 3 port valve was replaced last year, pump seems to be running ok, lights are on on the programmer.

Many thanks

Mick

Sponsored Links
The light is just the neon which can flicker when older.
Probably system flow related like a pump problem of a sludged system.
Boiler is overheating and cutting out

I don't think its the thermostat.

Intermittently firing up --- my guess would be problem with the solenoid on the gas valve. Probably chattering or sticking.

Changed one with similar probs a couple of weeks ago.

PS: neon light does flicker on these.

Sponsored Links
If the boiler goes off on its stat after 10 minutes on Ch then thats usually a lack of flow.

Either pump problem or sludge/blockage in system.

Check pump speed is on "2" and if so put it on "3" and measure the difference in time it stays on and tell us.

Tony

thanks guys

Wish you could have posted earlier Undercover. The guy who fixed it said there was a problem with a resistence reading on the gas valve.

He has replaced the whole valve and it is working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back