Problem area with mould in communal hallway.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a skylight in our communal hallway. Because of condensation during the colder season, mould has built up around the skylight. See image.

The housing association will re-paint (and allegedly properly treat the mould beforehand). I've asked them about future mould prevention, but the person I've spoken to said that because of regulations they can only use flame retardant paint, and that isn't mould resistant.

What would be a good way to prevent mould in the future? Crown Paints whom I've spoken to said that you could not first paint in flame retardant paint and then a second coat with their mould resistant paint, because it would then "loose its properties".

Any idea what can be done about mould prevention for the future? Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
What's the state of the flashing on the outside?

Is there heating in the communal area? (If so since hot air rises I'd expect it to keep the sky light warm enough to prevent internal condensation).

I'd have suggested fitting a trickle vent, but the gubbins fitted would prevent fitting at the bottom, and your picture doesn't show what space is available at the top of the window frame.

That 'gubbins' is some sort of window opener? In which case why not have the window open a few millimetres as a constant?

A basic dehumidifier can protect against mould, even a very cheap disposable one. From what I understand mould cannot live in an area where damp/water isn't allowed to thrive. A dehumidifier will grab the water before mould has a chance to form.
Having said that, it'd be no harm to use a damp proof primer before finishing.

Time room in a communal area there won't be a power supply for the dehumidifier, and even if there was the constant opening of the main door will change the air quicker than a dehumidifier could cope (I guess).

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the replies. A trickle vent or contant opening of the skylight seems like a sensible way forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back