Mouldy wall, old wallpaper, skim or plaster next?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I’m new here.
My partner and I recently bought a terraced house, built around the 60s.
The old wallpaper in our bedroom wasn’t done to a great standard, and we also struggle with mould which we think is affecting my partners breathing. We had a survey done when we were buying it, and it isn’t a damp/underlying problem, it’s more about ventilation/condensation from people sleeping in there. We also don’t have an extraction fan in the bathroom or kitchen yet so steam and moisture is something we try to keep to a minimum! We live on Dartmoor so it’s very damp and humid most of the time.
We’ve just removed the wallpaper from the room so we can tackle the mould and also paint the walls to our taste. It looked pretty bad under the wallpaper and we’ve made a start on treating/cleaning it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what’s best after this? I’ve read about skimming, plastering, etc. and want to do a good job and not cut corners. The walls of this room seem to all be different! Two look like some sort of plasterboard (almost sparkly and rough) with nothing over it, but some cracks have been (badly) filled and are raised, so they’ll have to be sanded flat. We think the ‘yellow’ looking walls were plastered, but is the splotchy orange stuff paste/glue that we need to remove? And the mouldy wall - once that’s cleaned, should we put a mould preventative on it and then skim coat, or vice versa, or neither?! Then use mould primer and paint. Should the whole room be skimmed or does it need replastering fully? There are a lot of different textures and weird things going on!
I can take more photos if needed, thank you so much for any advice! By the way, we will of course use a professional if it needs to be plastered; I’m just starting here as we aren’t sure if the walls are horrific or not too bad, and what the next step is!

Attachments

• IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6198.jpeg
    IMG_6198.jpeg
    359.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6202.jpeg
    IMG_6202.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6203.jpeg
    IMG_6203.jpeg
    187 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_6204.jpeg
    IMG_6204.jpeg
    202.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6205.jpeg
    IMG_6205.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6206.jpeg
    IMG_6206.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6207.jpeg
    IMG_6207.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6208.jpeg
    IMG_6208.jpeg
    380.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_6209.jpeg
    IMG_6209.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Hi everyone, I’m new here.
My partner and I recently bought a terraced house, built around the 60s.
The old wallpaper in our bedroom wasn’t done to a great standard, and we also struggle with mould which we think is affecting my partners breathing. We had a survey done when we were buying it, and it isn’t a damp/underlying problem, it’s more about ventilation/condensation from people sleeping in there. We also don’t have an extraction fan in the bathroom or kitchen yet so steam and moisture is something we try to keep to a minimum! We live on Dartmoor so it’s very damp and humid most of the time.
We’ve just removed the wallpaper from the room so we can tackle the mould and also paint the walls to our taste. It looked pretty bad under the wallpaper and we’ve made a start on treating/cleaning it.
I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what’s best after this? I’ve read about skimming, plastering, etc. and want to do a good job and not cut corners. The walls of this room seem to all be different! Two look like some sort of plasterboard (almost sparkly and rough) with nothing over it, but some cracks have been (badly) filled and are raised, so they’ll have to be sanded flat. We think the ‘yellow’ looking walls were plastered, but is the splotchy orange stuff paste/glue that we need to remove? And the mouldy wall - once that’s cleaned, should we put a mould preventative on it and then skim coat, or vice versa, or neither?! Then use mould primer and paint. Should the whole room be skimmed or does it need replastering fully? There are a lot of different textures and weird things going on!
I can take more photos if needed, thank you so much for any advice! By the way, we will of course use a professional if it needs to be plastered; I’m just starting here as we aren’t sure if the walls are horrific or not too bad, and what the next step is!
Strip back old plaster - insulate the Bejeezus out of the outside walls and re-board.

Agreed; re plastering will do nothing to resolve the actual problem which is that the wall surfaces are dropping below circa 14 degrees Celsius so the excess moisture you're generating and not dealing with hs an ray time finding something to condense on, feeding the mould

Insulating the walls will raise the surface temperature of the inner face to be closer to that of the air in the room. You'll require less heat energy input to get the room up to temp and out of the condensation risk zone. You still need to deal with generated moisture, and the gold standard for that is a heat recovering ventilation system, then PIV, then MEV down to something passive like trickle vents

People balk at the high prices associated with ventilating a property properly but honestly, it's an amazing difference when you do. Your house no longer stinks, doesn't feel stuffy or damp, doesn't go mouldy (unless you have a serious moisture problem/leak) and the incoming air is filtered and warmed so you get fresh clean air that's better for allergy sufferers and those with breathing conditions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back