Problem fitting floor to ceiling bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am in the process of building a new, square bay for windows and doors on the rear of my property. It will be floor to ceiling glass about 2.8m wide x 1.5m deep x 2.45m high with a flat roof. The foundation have gone in, but before I build the footing up to floor level, I was hoping some one would help me solve a few problems I'm anticipating when it comes time to fit the windows and doors.

I doubt the doors could take the weight of the flat roof without problems, so I intend to fit a lintel (probably about 100mm angle iron), and to do this I will need to fit support pillars (possibly 70mm square section Aluminium) at either side of the door at the outer corners of the bay. My first problem is I have no idea how to attach the bottom of these pillars to the brickwork such that they will be strong enough for the job and would not show below the cills, just clean brickwork. A second problem is how I attach the lintel and roof joist securely to the house but still allow for thermal movement.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Hi,

could you post a sketch of your project?

For the thermal movements of the lintel, use telescopic joints and slotted holes.

The pillars should be not less resistant of the lintel.

Flat roof implies snow: probably you need a calculation of the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back