Problem getting an actual quote.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need, pretty much, the whole house skimming.

Two Bedrooms, Landing, Stairs and Hallway, Dining room, Kitchen (wall units already removed) and possibly a utility room.

It is a 1930s semi, so the rooms are larger than modern properties, and there is a lot of details that need to be kept that prevent over-boarding (cornicing, dado rails etc). There is also a lot of Artex everywhere, but it is a light pattern with little depth.

Two of the plasterers, while seeming keen when visiting the property to assess it and quote, have just failed to return quotes, even when prompted again.

What confuses me is why? Do plasterers shy away from bigger jobs as lots of smaller jobs (which are in good supply) are more profitable? Or is it because they can't just overboard anything so again, the work takes longer and they miss out out easier smaller jobs?

I do not think I ask any unreasonable questions. The only thing I enquire about is whether they can retain the nice bull-nose wooden corner beading. Both of them said it is impossible to retain and prefer mental angle beading over the top. I am quite happy for them to do this (although it is a shame) and have not insisted on keeping it.

So I am at a loss as to why plasterers do not want the work.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A lot of these so called "plasterers" can only skim. If there's more too it than just a skim, they'll probably talk big, but not return with a quote to do the job.
Many people keep the wooden bullnose corners, whether up an external corner, around window reveals, or anywhere else they're fitted. They do look nice if they're in good condition, and are easy to keep. A lot of them are often damaged by people scraping off old wallpaper over the years, but i've seen people have damaged ones carefuly removed, and have new ones made by a quality carpenter, re-fitted, then plastered back in.The "plasterers" that you had round probably saw the thin coat corner bead as an easy option for them. There's far more to plastering than just skimming a wall or a ceiling.

So in a way, by asking these questions, I am weeding out the.....shall we say....jobs-worth ones.

The beading is in good condition, although some numpty had filled in a lot of the quirk's (I am reliably told that that is what the v groove is called). So, again it is a debate with myself as to the extra cost of keeping them.

Well, had another plaster come around today, seemed more positive.

He was much more keen to retain the timber beading and quirk. He said it can be a bit tricky to keep. So I may see how it goes in one room before trying it in others. We shall see.

Hopefully a quote will arrive forthwith....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the problem is that there is a lot of work around?
Tradesmen in most skills can cherry pick the easier jobs or quote such inflated prices to make it worth their while?
If one shows any form of knowledge of the process requiring a quote by asking pertinent questions they appear keen when on site but one never hears from them again!!

litl

You can over board and keep the cornice you stop the board an inch or two short of the cornice depending on the pattern of the cornice and have a plaster edge bead on board this gives the illusion that the edge of the board is part of the cornice or something to that effect, I went to look at a house I was thinking of buying the otherweek and they did not do this they boarded right up to the cornice over boarding the lath and plaster ceiling it looked awful.

Quotes are slowly coming in.....very slowly.

One who I thought had bailed, finally gave a quote. Then I had another who I do not think is too keen as he gave a very high quote via text as a lump sum. I asked for a room by room quote (as some are less urgent than others). No reply to that.
The one who I thought seemed keen, has not replied yet, one week on.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back