Problem in my lawn ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Please could someone tell me what is going on here. Do you think I can save it or is it too late ?

My neighbour seem to think I have spread it around the lawn via the roller on the mower ?

Any advice would be helpful - thanks.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
It is dog lichen and growing prolifically due to the poor drainage and over compaction of your garden. The compaction is made worse by the fact you cut it with a roller although this is not responsible merely a factor.

You need to consider either a proper drainage system which will be very expensive or as a first step try hollow core aeration. Then brush grit sand into the cores and top dress with it too.

There is no point killing the lichen which any moss killer will do unless you sort out the drainage.

Fungus' lichens and algaes have been extra ferocious this year as its been so wet and warm.

Thank you for your advice,

My lawn is surrounded by conifers/leylandii - Sadly my better half likes the privacy and is against me cutting them down.

i will have a go at the hollow core aeration, certainly wouldn't do any harm.

Thanks
Stoyer

its a problem indicative of a very unhealthy lawn.

In the spring try aerating feeding and cutting it much higher for a year.

Sponsored Links
Will do, cheers.

It is not normally cut so low - I forgot to alter the setting after using the scarifier for collecting leaves etc..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back