Problem refilling a system

mca

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all, hope someone can help… apologies for the long post but hopefully it’ll give enough understandable info…

At the moment the radiator heating side of my system is turned off (no need for it to be on when it’s warm) and so only the hot water side is on – when the hot water is heated so too are two of the radiators; one in the en-suite, the other in the main bathroom (both are upstairs). I assume that the motorized valve (a Honeywell V4073) stays in the same position because only the hot water side is on – I’ve not changed the lever from Auto To Manual.

There’s a draining point on the pipe work to the radiator in the main bathroom upstairs and also one on the radiator in the hallway downstairs. I assumed (perhaps this is where I went wrong) that since the radiator I wanted to replace in the en-suite heats up when the water is heated that I could use the draining point on the radiator in the main bathroom upstairs – I went with this and so tied up the ballcock to prevent the small tank (F&E tank?) in the loft from refilling and then drained the system down, there must’ve been about two or three bowl fulls of water and the small tank in the loft emptied.

I assume from that that I’ve only drained the small circuit that has the two radiators on it and not the rest of the radiators in the house – is that correct?

I’ve replaced the regular radiator in the en-suite with a towel radiator and moved it across the room to the opposite wall (it’s a small en-suite and so only around three or four feet across the width of the room). If it matters I’ve used a TRV on the flow side.

Now to the problem… I’m trying to refill the system but without luck! I’ve opened the flow valves on both radiators (the new towel radiator’s TRV is on it’s max setting) and their bleed screws but the tank in the loft just fills with water and nothing else – no water exits from the radiator bleed points at all, I couldn't hear any water move down the system into the radiators.

So, I’m stuck as to what the problem is and how to resolve it. Help!

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks Dave, I'll give that a go and see what happens. Another questions though; what does it do when in the manual position?

I did download a FAQ sheet from the Honeywell web site for the V4073 and it did say, to quote them, "The Manual Lever on the side of the valve, is to allow the system to be filled, it is not a position indicator.", but didn't say any more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back