Problem roof.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering if anyone has any good ideas for the roof below. Extension built years ago. At the time the guy done away with the downpipe of the main house and seems to have redirected the water to a small diamater downpipe on the extension roof.

Currently its going down to the flatroof like a waterfall from the gutters when raining....constant flow of water in the corner thats been acropoled.

Their toying with the idea of a new roof but to me they probably need new gutters first redirecting the water to the other side to maybe a water butt. Pretty sure the downpipe that used to be there was in the middle of where the extension is now.

Just wondering if anyone has any good ideasfor it. Currently getting water in where its been acropoled previously.

Attachments

• 20211028_145039.jpg
    20211028_145039.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 20211028_145051.jpg
    20211028_145051.jpg
    408.8 KB · Views: 144
  • 20211028_145707.jpg
    20211028_145707.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 142
  • 20211029_142201.jpg
    20211029_142201.jpg
    592.6 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
Gutters too short and shallow.

Agree. Theres no end cap on it tho. The purpose from the guy who built it was to use it to drain the main gutters onto the flat roof outlet to drain away. Theres no other downpipe on them main gutters. Hes directed the water onto the flattish roof by design.

Think once upon a time there was a downpipe that was done away with when he built the extension.

The gutters are holding the water fine...its just that hes put the run directing it down to the flat roof...thats where the constant water goes down when raining. Looks like they,ve acropoled it but the acropols washing away through time because of the amount of water hitting it. I m not sure outside of maybe rubber any roof covering wont get effected over time with the amount of water but could be wrong.

Hi,

I am just a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

is there a decent outlet from the bottom of the flat roof?

If there was, I would consider using a stopend outlet, an elbow and a length of downpipe to take the water over the flat roof.

Although many will say the roof shouldn't be leaking in the first place, it doesn't hurt to bypass some of it!

I have made something similar.
My downpipe takes the water from the rooves of three terrace houses. This was left to discharge onto a lean-to roof that had a leak.
A length of downpipe bypassing the lean-to roof has solved the problem. The amount of water coming down the lean-to is negligible compared to that from the three houses!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I am just a DIY'er, so feel free to ignore! :)

is there a decent outlet from the bottom of the flat roof?

If there was, I would consider using a stopend outlet, an elbow and a length of downpipe to take the water over the flat roof.

Although many will say the roof shouldn't be leaking in the first place, it doesn't hurt to bypass some of it!

I have made something similar.
My downpipe takes the water from the rooves of three terrace houses. This was left to discharge onto a lean-to roof that had a leak.
A length of downpipe bypassing the lean-to roof has solved the problem. The amount of water coming down the lean-to is negligible compared to that from the three houses!

Good thinking actually. Toyed with the idea. Think the problem is the outlet on the flat roof is the opposite end and its a pretty small outlet as well. Also that plastic on the roof finishes pretty tight to the bottom...you cant even see the outlet...can only get your fingers in slightly thats how tight the gap is. Reckon it will only push the problem further down with the amount of water. But might be something to try to try find a quick solution for the meantime. Much appreciated for your input btw. Its a good idea...i think the extension being a bad build is causing a lot of problems tho.

Why is there a parapet wall emerging from your already complex roof junction?

That would have been the first thing I'd simplified.

Why is there a parapet wall emerging from your already complex roof junction?

That would have been the first thing I'd simplified.

That on the right of the parapets joins onto another flat roof thats been refelted recently.

Not sure why its been built that way. No idea. Know the guy that built it was a jack of all trades guy tho. Its a mum of a good friends roof. Any ideas of how to get round it and make it water tight?

The owner is talking about a new roof if necessary...but it doesnt really look like that will totally solve the problem without stopping that constant flow of water from the gutter end and the parapet corner detail above the gutters etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back