Problem with a new GRP roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just climbed onto my 3 week old GRP roof, I knelt down on it to look at the flashing, when I got up, some of the topcoat was stuck to my trousers..............'that's odd' I thought to myself, so I tested a few other areas and sure enough I can push it about a bit like a thin layer of Blutack. Is the topcoat supposed to be soft n squidgy? I assumed it should have a hardener added to it just like the fibreglass layer.............or am I just a great big old wombat?

Sponsored Links
Should be hard. Its a 2 part mix of gel coat and hardener and should set in under an hour weather permitting. Something very wrong with yours. I suspect you'll need to clean off the goo, clean the whole lot with acetone then re-apply it! Messy job.

DIYedboy, good evening.

Suggest a call to the installer?

Was the installer a small or larger firm? and was the Installer "accredited" by the manufacturer of the material?

Ken.

no not enough catalyst or maybe even none at all, get them back

Sponsored Links
It was one of the builder's subbies.............heyho where's the phone.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back